Sunday, September 19, 2010

And so it begins!

Hello!

Let me begin by introducing myself. My name is Sarah Verner, I graduated from the University of Michigan, department of Mechanical Engineering this past spring, and I am the Roger M. Jones fellow for 2010-2011. I will be studying at the University of Southampton, which is located on the southern coast of England, near the English Channel (Fun Fact: Southampton is where both the May Flower and Titanic set sail!).

While I am at Soton (as it is called, although I still don't have the pronunciation down), I will be working towards an MFA (Master's of Fine Arts) in Creative Writing as well as immersing myself in British culture, specifically humanities and the arts, and exploring the country and its people--much like Roger M. Jones did years ago. I am already planning on joining a campus orchestra (I haven't decided which yet, and auditions are upcoming), trying out for the Soton volleyball team, and attending the various theatre and art events at the school and around the UK.

I will be posting twice a week about my adventures, and additionally, I am hoping to upload one interesting picture (and its description) from each day that will help share my experience with all of you! :)

Cheers,
Sarah