Monday, December 13, 2010

Snow Day!



I think it's been about seven years or so since I've had a day off because of snow, but I've just had two days off! The UK has been getting blasted with unusual winter weather the past several days, and now, Southampton is getting its share of it as well! We accumulated around 6 inches over night, and since Southampton rarely gets much more than a dusting, the University had to close. The picture above is the view from my room that morning.

So, my colleagues from my program and I took the opportunity to wander around the common areas (basically, parks) around the university and took some really pretty pictures! The first picture I took in one of the commons, and the "Christmas tree" in the picture is really enormous, possibly the biggest I've ever seen. It doesn't look that big in the picture, but standing next to it was rather impressive. The second picture is of a snowman that I made with my classmates. We would have made a bigger one, but I was not prepared for this kind of cold and snow when I came and so my rain boots weren't doing a good job of keeping my feet warm! Finally, the last picture is of me in the common.