Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Moving On, Kinda

I've been home for nearly two weeks already, but I'm only just ending my Jones Fellowship tenure with this, my last post.

I'm an incredibly lucky guy to have had this experience, and I hope the photos and stories I've shared here were interesting to someone. I hope to continue exploring and documenting things wherever I end up (I'm home in Massachusetts, working part time and looking for what's next). I hope more than anything to be able to merge those interests with the ones that sent me to U of M in the first place.

Obviously it's a jarring change to move back to Holliston from London, but I'm surprised by the continuity that being here has had with life in London. Looking ahead to moving there a year ago, it seemed like it could only be an interruption, but now it feels fairly natural. One quote that stuck with me from the beginning of last year was that "you can't run away from yourself by moving from one place to another." I was given a tremendous opportunity to broaden my perspective this past year, and I'd like to think that I did, but I'm still me.

-

I'd like to thank Adam Skoczylas for managing me the past year (2 if you count the application process), and the rest of the Fellowship's Selection Committee for making it all possible. I'd also like to wish the best of luck to Andrea Berkemeier, next year's Fellow.