Saturday, February 12, 2011

My theatrical Debut!

Hi there!

I have some exciting news! :) One of my friends from my creative writing course has authored a short play that is going to be performed at the University, and she asked if I would fill in for one of her actors that couldn't come to some of the rehearsals. So I have been, and as it turns out this other person is going to be missing so much rehearsal that she's not going to be in the play anymore. And I got asked to take her part! :) I'm really excited and I'm waiting to hear back on the dates of the performances (I believe there are three) to make sure I don't have any unavoidable conflicts with orchestra etc.

The play is about a young woman who is a writer for a magazine and she wants her own column, but another employee is constantly overshadowing her. On the side she writes for herself and has invented three characters that she works with: An old west cowboy (which, I must say, watching a British person do the southern accent is pretty amusing, but he's doing a really good job with it!), a pick pocket (that's me!) and another character that she's currently trying to shape over the course of the play. So, since the three characters are all in her head, only she can see us and talk to us. It's funny and I'm really excited to make it awesome with the rest of the cast! :) I think that for my character's entrance, she's going to have me walk in down the center isle of the theater and take things from people that we've planted in the audience. You know, since my character is a pick pocket. :)

I'm pretty sure I'll be able to coerce one of my other friends to come and video tape and maybe if it's not really embarrassing, I'll post it. :)

In other news, I'm hoping to be half way through my novel today (through 8 chapters)! It is only a rough draft, but I'm really starting to look forward to the editing stage. Writing this much is tiring!

Until next time,
Sarah