Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Florence, Italy

Next stop on my tour of Italy is Florence. I was really expecting it to be my favorite of all the places I went, but other than seeing Michelangelo's David, it paled in comparison to Venice.

This is the best shot that I got of the David, but I really like it, I think it turned out rather artistically. It was incredible to see a work of art so monumental and significant to the rest of all history. The creation of David solidified the way in which all artists after portrayed the proportions of the human body. It was simply breath-taking. I've seen a lot of sculptures (even a lot of famous ones) and I've never seen sculpture that looked so life-like. The only way I could describe him is that he looks as if a 15 foot tall man just woke up one day and turned to stone, so incredibly real!

This next photo is of one of the rivers running through Florence. It was a really beautiful city and a really beautiful river. Every day there were these vibrant markets that filled the streets, they were just lovely.

This next photo was taken in a square which displayed several copies of Michelangelo's work. In the background to the right of the statue here, you can see a replica of David. It was much less impressive than the one in the museum and I'm glad that the work got moved from the square and to a more appropriate place which isn't so exposed to the elements. Even for as long as David was outside, he suffered no damage whatsoever. It is incredible. Anyway, this statue I thought was particularly striking from this angle, it shows the beheading of a figure lying at the be-header's feet.

Here is a picture of one of the many busy walkways in Florence and to the right is one of the famous cathedrals. We toured through it, but weren't allowed to take photos of the inside.



Finally, this is a picture taken of the city looking down from above. The city and surrounding landscape are just gorgeous, I think the picture speaks for itself.