Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Venice


After seeing Paris, we got on a plane and flew over to Venice. It was storming when we arrived and so we thought it might be a good idea to take a taxi to our hotel. So, we asked a cab driver to take us there, and he looked at us with a really goofy expression and then informed us that we would have to take a boat. I was so tired from the traveling and such that I had completely forgotten that cars aren't allowed on the islands. I felt pretty stupid at the time (and I hated contributing to the American stereotype) but afterwards it was pretty funny.

Aside from that, Venice was amazing. Hands down, it was my favorite city in the entire string of places that we visited. Maybe it's just because I love the water and I hate being around cars, but really, it was incredible and I'd love to go back the next chance I get. That being said, I think the best way to give a sense of Venice is through pictures. The one at the very start was taken looking down the length of one of the many many markets that seem to be running every day of the week.

At every one of these markets you'll find loads and loads of masks that are worn during Carnival time in Venice. Lots are fake knock offs for tourists, but I hunted down and awesome authentic one while I was there (And it cost the same as the fake, cheap looking ones. Go figure!). Some of the really expensive ones are just gorgeous and ornate works of art.

This next picture is of the main footpath over the Grand Canal. It was always really crowded with people, as was all of Venice, but since there were no cars or motorbikes allowed on the island, it didn't seem as stressful or annoying.

This next photo is one I took while standing on the footpath from the picture above. So, this is a view of the grand canal. The picture doesn't do it justice, but all of the buildings are these beautiful, earthy tones. Orange, Rust, Tan. Those sorts of colors, which I happen to love.


This next picture is of graffiti that I found. I love finding poetry spray-painted onto walls (not that I condone vandalism). Anyway, it was such a striking phrase, that I couldn't help but take a picture.


Here is a picture of a group of gondolas docked along one of the canals. It gives a little glimpse of the colors I was mentioning before.

On one of the days, we took the boat bus (it is literally a bus which is a boat, how awesome is that?) to Lido, which is the island that is on the Mediterranean. The picture below is of one of the beaches on the Mediterranean side. In high season (summer) it would be loaded with tourists, but since it was only early spring, there weren't many people around. But even with hardly anyone around, a man selling scarves and other tourist merchandise was trolling around trying to solicit the handful of people there. That is the one aspect of Italy that I really didn't enjoy. They can be pretty aggressive! (But that story is saved for Rome...)


Here's another photo of some gondolas, I thought the colors turned out well, so I included it. :)


Same for this next one, I just had a fetish for taking pictures of gondolas, I guess.


Here's another picture of the Grand Canal, opening up on the west side of Venice, I believe.


I'm sure this is no surprise, but here is another photo of gondolas. This canal is the one that we took on the boat bus to get to Lido.


Also while I was there, I got to peek into lots of different cathedrals and the mansion of the past 'governor' of Venice. They didn't allow pictures, so I don't have any, but they were all very ornate and beautiful. Inside the governor's mansion he had these giant globes, they stood nearly as tall as me. It was pretty cool.

Now, onto Pisa!