Saturday, July 2, 2011

Off to London!


Hello!

I am Jessie Carr, the 2011-2012 recipient of the Roger M. Jones Fellowship. I graduated from UM this past April with my degree in biomedical engineering, and with this Fellowship I am off to London for the next year to study humanities! I am doing two separate programs: first 2 three-week sessions at King's College London over the summer (July 4 - August 12) and then the academic year (Sept 2011 - June 2012) at University College London (UCL). At King's I'll be focusing on English literature, taking "Multicultural London Literature" and "Shakespeare in London", while at UCL I'll be taking some classical studies courses ("Greek Myths" and "Greek Authors: Homer') and some literature-based (yet-to-be-determined) courses.

I am currently waiting for my flight (SFO to LHR!) to board. I should land in London Sunday morning at 7am London time, though I won't be able to get in to the dorm that I'm staying at until the afternoon. I'm hoping I'll be able to store my bags at the dorm and walk around London a bit to get a sense of things (and combat jetlag) before classes start on Monday, maybe try to get a mobile phone worked out, then unpack and set up my room a bit. Hopefully I'll get some sleep on the plane so I won't be completely exhausted by the time I get there!

My plan is to post about once a week, hopefully including some pictures (and possibly videos) of my adventures. I've really enjoyed reading past RMJ Fellows' blogs, and I'm excited to be finally writing one myself! Much more information to come...

P.S. Got some great views of the Golden Gate flying out of SFO this morning (yesterday morning? Can't keep the days straight right now). Thought I'd post one picture of home before I start with all the London pictures!