Friday, August 23, 2013

Cassie signing off

This is my last post for the Roger M. Jones blog so I would like to end with a few goals that I have for the upcoming semester and year...

Syracuse

  • Set goals and determine where I want to be in the next 1, 5, and/or 10 years. For me, it doesn't matter if these goals change, but I like to work towards something. It’s also quite odd for a goal to be making goals, but friend recently asked me where I see myself in 5 years and for the first time I couldn't say anything. Because next year will be full of either grad school applications, job interviews, or who knows what, I have to start making decisions about where I would like to see myself.
  • Start a discussion group. The one thing that I feel missing from my program is a sort of colloquium where we can come together and discuss ideas and topics relating to Environmental Ethics, pulling from our diverse interests. I’m hoping to start a weekly or bi-weekly meeting where we can sit, eat, and chat.
  • Continue writing. Not for school (that happens regardless), but just for myself. I like using journals to reflect on the in-the-moment sights, sounds, and experiences.
  • Make the most. With only a few more months in Europe, and no (current) plans of staying or coming back, I want to knock just a few more things off my European bucket list. Part of it will include eating more my favorite German food, the soft pretzel.
  • Learn Portuguese. Not proficiently, but take a beginner’s level class and practice it. I’ve always wanted to speak more than two languages and because I’m still at a University, I guess now’s the time.
  • Take more pictures. I'm torn on this one, because I don't like to carry around a big camera (i.e. look touristy) and I am much more about experiencing a city than searching for the best shot, but I am pleased with some of my past photos and it's always nice to have something to look back on.


I would also like to mention that I am truly thankful for this experience provided by the Roger M. Jones Fellowship. This year has been challenging; I've taken classes that are neither in my background or native-language, but I've learned a great deal and I’m still progressing.


I’m excited for Dan, the 2013/2014 recipient, to share similar experiences- I wish him all the best.


Cheers,
Cassie