Monday, September 9, 2013

About This Blog

I alluded in my last post to the fact that I’ve yet to find a definite direction I want my life to take, and to be honest I hope that this experience helps point me in one.  Thus I will approach this blog as a series of dispatches from a second adolescence, of sorts – height-marks on the Roger M. Jones moulding, hopefully getting taller the longer I've been here. Of course, it's a lot to expect to be transformed by something and almost certainly wrong to plan to be, so I'll also make a concerted effort to let it be what it is.

Before we start, I’ll warn the reader that I’ll be borrowing pretty heavily from two bloggers whose work I read religiously. Charlie Pierce is the first, he a legendary sports and politics writer and fellow Saint John’s High alum. The second, Ta-Nehisi Coates, is a blogger at The Atlantic whose posts this summer about his experience as an ex-pat in France were particularly instructive for me. If in any post in this space I can achieve a fraction of their daily insight I’ll consider myself to have grown tremendously as a writer.
This brings me to another heads-up: I’m going to take this blog seriously. I have often found myself wishing I spent more energy on writing, and I’m tired of not doing it. I hope that this will help me become better. If you've got feedback, hit me. 

Hope you enjoy it.