Friday, October 8, 2010

Getting the Ball Rolling

Good morning!

I've successfully finished my first week of classes, and boy, has it been a whirl! For the rest of the term, I will be reading approximately two to three novels per week and doing various essay assignments for my three classes. I went to two volleyball practices this week, which was great fun! And I was selected to play with the team in their National League matches. The first one is this Sunday in Portsmouth, I'm quite excited! :) I have been becoming more aware of the transition from engineering to literature. I thought it would be quite easy, since I love literature and writing, but switching my brain from left to right thinking has been quite difficult! I'm getting the hang of it, but at first, it almost felt strange to not be working on equations all day (and all night) long!

I have also been to both of the first rehearsals for the Symphony Orchestra as well as the Sinfonietta. I am not entirely sure if I will have time to play in both of them (both include a 3 hour rehearsal on a weekly basis) when taking into account my coursework, volleyball, and the various cultural performances and exhibits I want to see while I am here. I'll hopefully have a decision as to which I want to play in by the end of the weekend. It'll be a tough choice to make, since I'd love to play in both.

I've made a good friend recently who is also interested in traveling while she is here (although, I'll have to find a new travel partner when she leaves after the first term)! We are hoping to take weekend trips to various parts of England, Scotland and Ireland as well as tour around France, Spain, and Amsterdam. We haven't laid it all out in stone yet, but I'm really excited. We think our first adventure might be renting bikes and cycling around the Isle of Write--it's just a short ferry ride from Southampton.

Cheers,
Sarah