Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Getting Connected

Hello!

Today is my first day of class, and I am quite excited! I only have one of my classes today, though, and it is called "The Creative Workshop." All I know for now is that I just need to bring paper and a pen to class, but I have a feeling it's going to be fun, interesting, and exciting! :)

For my other two classes (Twentieth Century Body and Literature and The Art and Craft of Fiction), I'm already working on the following readings: "Illness as a Metaphor" and "The Handmaid's Tale"

But aside from classes, I have most exciting news! Over the weekend I auditioned for the Southampton University Symphony Orchestra and the Southampton University Sinfonietta, and I was selected for both orchestras! In the Symphony Orchestra I will be playing the fist violin part and for the Sinfonietta I will be playing second violin. I am really excited about the friends that I will make, the music we will play, and the tours that both orchestras go on after the second term ends! In past seasons they have gone to places like Croatia and Prague!

And if that news isn't exciting enough, I have even more exciting news! I also tried out for the women's volleyball team this weekend, and I was invited to play on the BUCS team, which is the highest level of university competitive sports! I'll get a jersey and get to travel with the team to various competitions and everything!

In another more somber note, some of my travel plans have been put on hold for the time being due to the terrorist threat alert in Europe right now. But luckily the campus is home to the Nuffield Theatre and the Turner Sims Music Hall which put on world class performances on a regular basis. So I'm sure I will have plenty to explore here before venturing out! :)

Cheers,
Sarah