Monday, October 25, 2010

Isle of Wight Pictures

This post has been long in coming, but I've gotten the pictures from my friend, so I will just take you on a photo journey to the Isle of Wight, at least my first journey to the Isle of Wight (photos courtesy of my friend and fellow Southampton student, Lauren Rice).

This first photo is of me (orange Southampton sweatshirt) and my friend Gusta from the Netherlands. We are standing next to our bikes on the ferry on our way over to the island. We were the only people on the boat that were brave (or perhaps naive) enough to bike the island!


This next photo is of a garden/park that is connected to a quaint house that I believe the queen and other royalty used to stay at while visiting the island. As it turned out, we weren't supposed to be there and we weren't supposed to have our bikes there (there were no signs, though!), but fortunately we got to snap this photo before we had to leave.


While biking through the island, we captured the following two pictures, one of a farm which was just beautiful and one of a harbor off the English Channel, which was also quite lovely. Unfortunately we couldn't find a view without the powerlines in the way of the shot. But I think you can still get a good feel of the beauty of it all.



'These next photos are of an old church (St. Mildreds) we stumbled upon while biking around a cycling path which we were happy to find after a fair amount of time on the roads (which were rather scary!). It was incredible to see such history and such an exquisite cemetery. I had the pleasure of snapping the photo on the right and on the bottom (with Lauren's very expensive, very amazing camera). The bottom photo is of my bike, which was possibly the best purchase I have ever made! I not only feel more effecient, I also feel much more European, which is great.



In the island's city centre we found another historic church which was also beautiful. It is in the process of being restored, so the top of the church should look a bit better than the lower bit.


I hope that this has given a glimpse into the Isle of Wight. It was pretty, but there was far too much to see from a bike. I'm hoping to go back again soon, but with the intention of taking the bus so that I can see more of the island. I still need to check out the famous Needles, some castles and other various historic landmarks.

Until next time,
Sarah