Friday, November 19, 2010

Being American and Abroad

Before traveling abroad, I like to think that I had a pretty good idea about the attitude of the rest of the world toward the US--not especially positive. I realize that the US is a world power that has a tendency in getting involved, but before actually living abroad, I really didn't know the full extent of international feelings toward me and/or my country.

Yesterday, as every Thursday, I spent the hour between my two lectures grabbing a cup of coffee with my classmates and discussing a wide array of topics, one of which somehow feel on America. The people that I was sitting with included myself, one other American, a Canadian, and several British. I was surprised that the most vicious and passionate attacks on America and Americans came from my Canadian friend. Of the group of us, I'd have thought that the British would have had more to be upset over.

The Canadian told an impassioned story about a US soldier that she had a run in with in Korea. The soldier apparently pushed her away from a taxi she had gotten and demanded that he have the cab, since he was American. He carried on with swearing and yelling and demanding all sorts of privilege, while at the same time being upset that that taxi driver could not speak English. The story did seem a bit exaggerated, I thought, she tends to be over dramatic. But never the less, you cannot make generalizations about an entire group of people based on one person. That is completely illogical and ridiculous. So, I told her that just because one American was a selfish, self-important jerk, doesn't mean that we all are. I also pointed out that there are jerks in every country, including Canada. My British colleagues agreed, piping in that they know of many people that are from England that are just as nasty.

She also stated that Americans never leave the country and live in a bubble thinking that we're the greatest thing to happen to the world. I bit my tongue because I have to work with this woman for the rest of the year, but I wish I could have said that not everyone has the opportunity to travel the world. If it weren't for my fellowship, I would not have been able to have the experience that I have had. I know that before I came, I didn't have quite the same international view point, but I think that I was far from ignorant before I was here. That comment also got under my skin because I happen to know that she is here on her family's wealth. And she wants to talk about privilege and self importance? Criticizing someone because they haven't been able to travel and have a more well rounded international view point, is just as self-important and close minded as the soldier she ran into in Korea.

I recognize that every country has bits of its past that it isn't necessarily proud of, every person and every country has that experience. I didn't think of it in time, but if I had, I would have told them that whichever country has made no mistakes in its history, that country can criticize me for the mistakes my country has made. But, last time I checked, no one can stand in that position.

Another little bit that just made the whole conversation even more bothersome, is the overwhelming amount of adoption of US culture. If we are so despised, perhaps they should stop wearing Holister California shirts, or I heart NY shirts, or stop listening to US music and watching US television shows and movies. I find it overwhelmingly hypocritical.

After this heated discussion, the American insults didn't stop, not even in my next lecture! The topic of discussion was the role of literature in AIDS and how the diseased body is viewed in society. During the course of discussion it came up that the majority of the English (at least in my class) are of the opinion that the US developed AIDS as a biological weapon against Africa. I had never heard of this and was thoroughly offended, who wouldn't be? I asked why we would ever do such a thing, what would our motivation be? And the class simply responded: White Supremacy. I was dumbfounded. I couldn't believe that this absurd theory would have survived for so long. I wanted to point out that we were against White Supremacy in WWII, that we combated against those ideas with England itself. Did they conveniently forget?

Yesterday was a trying day, and the experience was all but positive. But all the same, I have come away with a sobering understanding of the difficulties of being part of a world power. That is something that would have never experienced at home, and I think it has changed me and my world view forever.

On a lighter note, I am traveling with the volleyball team to Cardiff, Wales tonight for a small tournament tomorrow. I don't anticipate playing in the games much, but my dear friend from Norway will be there, and we're determined to see as much of Cardiff tonight as possible! I found a picture of a castle there online, and I'm hoping we can see it while we're there. Also, on Sunday, I'm going with some friends to see Much Ado About Nothing. I'm quite excited! I'm sure it will inspire me to plan my trip to Avon and the Globe Theater. :)

Until next time,
Sarah